MIT is an urban campus and it is open 24 hours a day. We urge you to be cautious and to be aware of your surroundings at all times. In a Police/Fire/Ambulance Emergency, dial "100" from any campus phone, or dial 617-253-1212 from an outside line. MIT Police also advise the following:
- Program the number 617-253-1212 into your cell phone.
- Do not hesitate to call if you feel you are in danger or if you become uncomfortable in any situation.
- Note the locations of the emergency telephones (blue lights) on campus, and utilize them in case of an emergency.
- Keep your doors, laptops, wallets, pocketbooks etc. locked at all times. NEVER leave valuables unattended either in your office or laboratory.
- Report suspicious activity immediately! Call the MIT Police at 617-253-1212.
- Take note of the fire exits in your building, and in particular, at least two evacuation routes near your work area. Know the emergency procedures for your unit.
- Register your laptop computers at the next laptop registration session. See the Crime Prevention Unit page for a list of registration dates.
- Lock your bicycle at all times. Use a U-lock. Cable locks are easily defeated!
- Register your bicycle for free.
For information on the MIT Saferide and other transportation options, see Commuter Connections.
MIT Police also provides safety-related seminars upon request for any MIT department or organization; for details see Safety Programs.